1) How did Protestant views of art affect artistic production in the Netherlands?
2) Visit the Google Art Project: http://www.googleartproject.com/ (Links to an external site.). View of Toledo by El Greco is on view at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Examine the work with an eye toward the artist’s use of white. Follow the bridge and wall and town, and then the sky. How has El Greco used white for expressive purposes?
3) Compare and contrast the religious messages posited in both the altarpiece and in the Fall of Man.What similar debts to the aesthetic values of the Renaissance and to classicism do both these works share? (I uploaded the pictures)
4) You have been asked to select paintings that illustrate economic conditions in Spain and Northern Europe in the 16 th century. Identify the three paintings you will include and explain your selections.
5) Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and read the description of Pieter Brueghel the Elder’s print
Sloth- Desidia (Links to an external site.) . Explain how this print represents Northern European iconography during the Reformation. How does it relate to the images by the artist in your text?
If you are unable to find this print on their website- pick a diferent work by the artist that is not in the book and perform a similar analysis. Make sure you list the title and date of the work you are referencing in your response.
6) Select three examples of art and architecture that illustrate the relationship of art and politics in 16th -century Northern Europe and Spain. Explain your choices and how they relate to each other as well as differentiate different concepts of art and politics.