Union Impact on the Community and Police Subculture
Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 3: Analyze the culture of police organizations from a leadership perspective.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
There are four areas that must be examined to fully understand and appreciate the impact of police unions, both within their respective agencies as well as in the community. These include the impact on discipline and accountability, the impact on the police subculture, the impact on city or county finances, and the impact on politics. It is not known to what extent negotiated police salaries and benefits force cities and counties to reduce expenditures for other services, such as streets, parks, and libraries. Police unions are generally a well-organized interest group with significant financial resources and political clout (Swanson, Territo, & Taylor, 2017).
From the perspective of a law enforcement administrator, prepare a three-page paper citing a minimum of one case on point and two academically verified references addressing the following:
- Analyze two ways police unions impact the community.
- Explain what you see as the primary impact police unions have on the discipline and accountability of law enforcement officers.
- Explore two ways police unions impact police subculture.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: Three typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of two references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin. Once you review your results and make any needed changes, submit your paper for grading.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Swanson, C. R., Territo, L., & Taylor, R. W. (2017). Police administration: Structures, processes, and behavior (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.