i will write exact what the proposer said:
-drafts of your 2-page double-spaced essays. You are then welcome to submit a corrected version as a printout in your blue book in the class.
Please address the following questions:
1. What was the intent of the author?
To address this, you must refer to the play text, as well as incidental research on what else the author has written. We have been discussing this extensively in class
2. What is the intent of the director?
To address this, you must refer to images in the movie we saw, which are also available on Youtube. How did the structure of the movie follow or change the structure of the play? What was the director trying to do via the performance style, the costumes, the sets, etc.
3. How did you respond to the performance?
How was this film relevant to you, if at all? Why is it a classic? What does it have to do with the 21st century.
Plays so far:
— 1. “Oedipus the King” by Sophocles
Directed by Tyrone Guthrie (1957) in an adaptation by W.B. Yeats
Youtube: “Oedipus the King Tyrone Guthrie”
Also Directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini (1967)
Youtube: “Edipo Rey Pasolini”
— 2. “Everyman” – author unknown or Anynymous
There is film version of this play, but for a cinematic example, you may refer to either:
1. “Amahl and the Night Visitors” an operetta by Gian-Carlo Mennotti, directed by Francesca Zambola (2002) Youtube: “Amahl and the Night Visitors BBC”
2. “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”