This week, we are going to practice making counter-arguments. Once you have selected your topic and devised your thesis, you will need to support your thesis with arguments. In addition, you will need to anticipate alternative viewpoints, and develop counter-arguments that will address those concerns.
Step 1: Finding and Citing Sources
For this discussion forum, select one topic from the list provided below. Find five scholarly sources that relate to this topic. Confine your search to articles from 2010 to present. Copy and paste the APA citations into your post or your document.
- Effects of Prison on First-time Offenders
- Salaries for Engineers
- Cyber terrorism
- Effective Managers
- Medical Coding Challenges
Step 2: State your position.
- Draft one sentence stating your position on your chosen topic.
Step 3: Anticipating Different Points of View
- Think through all aspects of the topic.
- Develop a list of all various viewpoints, and select those that you will address with counter-arguments.
Step 4: Offering counter-arguments
- Find a source that counters your statement (has a different viewpoint).
- Draft one sentence that explains the different viewpoint.
- Cite the source by copying and pasting the APA citation into the post.