Write a 5–6-page assessment of how circumstances in a case study unfairly impact members of one or more diverse populations, and what cultural competencies a psychologist may use to help resolve such issues.
Note: In this assessment, you will continue to work with the same case study that you chose for your Assessment 1.
Return to the case study that you considered in Assessment 1: Ethical Issue Analysis. Again, think of this assessment as a report you would make in a professional context.
- Analyze how this problem may unfairly impact members of the populations described in the Introduction to Hays’s ADDRESSING Model document. Initially, you should brainstorm as many of such effects as possible. You may also develop fictional scenarios related to your problem where individuals behave inequitably. However, if you do so, take care that your scenarios are realistic.
- Combine ideas that are similar when you have developed many entries.
- Assess each of your remaining entries in terms of importance:
- In what ways is it inequitable?
- How great or severe is the effect?
- How many people may be affected?
- Take care that you do not allow your own biases to minimize your assessments.
- Choose the entry that seems to be of greatest importance, on the basis of your evaluation.
- Organize your notes and attach them to Assessment 2 as an appendix.
Complete the following:
- Create a title page: Write a brief title that concisely conveys the purpose of this report. It is suggested that you use the APA Paper Template, linked in the Resources under the Suggested Resources heading to format your paper according to the APA manual (sixth edition).
- Write an introduction: For the introduction section of your paper, include the title at the top of the first page. (In APA format, the word Introduction is not used as a heading.) Briefly summarize:
- The case you have chosen.
- How theories and research, in general terms, explain why the issue may have developed.
- How the case relates to culture-related attitudes that may affect future professional behavior.
- Create a heading titled Cultural Issue: Describe how the circumstances in the case study you chose unfairly impact members of one or more of the populations described in the Introduction to Hays’s ADDRESSING Model document.
- Create a heading titled Theoretical Explanations: Apply two or more psychological theories to explain how this culture-related issue may have developed.
- Create a heading titled Professional Behaviors: Analyze how attitudes related to culture, ethnicity, and diversity may have adversely affected professional behaviors within the case study scenario.
- Create a heading titled Proposed Cultural Guidelines and Competencies:
- Evaluate what cultural competencies a psychologist may use to help resolve this culture-related issue.
- Propose general guidelines to improve or resolve this cultural issue, and help prevent its reoccurrence.
- Describe the competencies necessary for working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Integrate psychological principles with your personal values and goals to formulate guidelines for your personal and professional behavior with regard to culture, ethnicity, and diversity.
- Create a heading titled Conclusion:
- Reflect upon and assess how your own attitudes associated with culture, ethnicity, and diversity may affect your future professional behaviors.
- Explain how the guidelines you developed will help you.
- Discuss some steps you could take to further your own growth in cultural competencies.
Refer to the Cultural Competency Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the criteria for this assessment.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is well organized and free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA style: Comply with current APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: A minimum of three academic resources.
- Length: 5–6 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding cover page and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.