Applying the framework discussed in Chapter 7 of The Ethics Primer for Public Administrators in Government and Nonprofit Organizations and the other materials in this unit, write a paper on the following environmental scenario:
You are the city works administrator for Midtown, a city of approximately 50,000 residents. Your job is to promote expansion of the city’s industrial park. In the past five years, due to your efforts, the industrial park has added a dozen manufacturing business, which have created 2,000 jobs for Midtown residents. You are very proud of the fact that you played an important role in creating local jobs.
Woodbee Industries built a facility in the industrial park three years ago and hired 200 workers. Woodbee makes custom furniture for offices and hotels. Woodbee wants to expand their business to include refinishing of antique furniture. Woodbee executives estimate that they could double their size to 400 workers within two years if they undertake this expansion. Woodbee indicates that they can use the same paints, stains, and finishes that they use now. Hence, there would be no additional concern about hazardous waste or dangerous chemicals because those that they use now are fully approved under their business license. However, to remove the old finish from antique furniture, Woodbee would have to use industrial strength acids. You are in favor of Woodbee’s expansion and creation of more jobs, but you have some concerns about the acids they may need to use.
Write a paper showing how you would apply the problem solving model from p. 108 in Chapter 7 to this scenario. Make sure that you:
- Assess the issues and the interests of all parties who may have an interest in what Woodbee wants to do. List who, other than Woodbee, might have an interest in the expansion plans and what their interests would be, both pro and con.
- State your duties as you see them and what you think you need to know regarding Woodbee’s planned expansion.
- Analyze the situation according to the three ethical approaches (theories and principles) discussed this week:
- Virtue based (what would a good person do in this situation)
- Principle based (what principles apply to this situation)
- Results oriented (how do you promote the best consequences)
- Indicate how you would want to proceed on Woodbee’s plans to expand their business and why (provide a reasonable justification for the decision.)
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc) and Submit to the Dropbox by the end of Unit 5.
- Length should be 1-2 pages
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- Appropriate citation style should be followed
- More details can be found in the GEL-1.2 Universal Writing Rubric