You will be examining 3 Blaxploitation Films.. Our first film is “Three the Hard Way,” a 1974 movie, starring Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly.
The story involves a white supremacist plot to taint the United States water supply with a toxin that is harmless to whites but lethal to blacks. The only obstacles that stand in the way of this dastardly plan are Jim Brown, Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly, who shoot, kick and karate chop their way to final victory.
next film is ADIOS AMIGO (1976) Starring: Fred Williamson, Richard Pryor and James Brown. The story is about a cowboy’s crimes that are blamed on another man.
final film is Black Jesus, starring Woody Strode, Franco Citti and Jean Servals
A Congo rebel leader is captured and imprisoned with two white felons in this 81-minute feature containing religious symbolism and condemnation of colonial exploitation. Maurice Lalubi is thrown in jail with a soldier and an Italian thief. The trio endures torture at the hands of their captors, while a newly formed military regime decides the fate of the insurgent. The entire horror of the confrontation is seen through his eyes throughout Lalubi’s interrogation and torture. His imminent demise could turn him into a martyr and spell trouble for the new government dictator in this sometimes violent film.
– Written by Clint Weiler
- Short summaries about the main characters and 2 supporting characters.
- In your own words what was the story about and how did it affect you?
- What were some of the highlights of the story and did it keep your interest, if no why if yes why?
- What was the climax of the movie?
- At the end did it resolve effectively or did you hope for a different ending?
- During the 60′ & 70’s some of the black films exploited black people with stereotypical, roles, and the plot of the story; out of the three films viewed, which in your opinion exploited black people more than the other two? Please explain your choices in detail.
Style, Tone, Acting:
- What was the style of the film, was it sexy or gangster driven?
- How did the filmmaker set the tone of the movie in the beginning, middle and end.
- Discuss in your paper the acting, naming each character. Was their performance believable, comical or corny?