Using the notes you took from the Lesson 3 Lecture Videos and your careful readings of the recommended passages in Chapter 25 of your textbook and the provided documents, answer the following essay question:
Compare and contrast the reactions of Hoover and Roosevelt to the Great Depression. What were their competing visions of the government’s role in society? How did the role of the federal government change with the New Deal?
The student will:
- Outline the Roaring Twenties including Harding’s election, congressional passage of the acts limiting immigration and the Sheppard-Towner Act, the administration of Coolidge, and the election of Hoover.
- Discuss the Scopes Trial in Tennessee and the first solo trans-Atlantic flight by Lindbergh.
- Explain the causes and effects of the Great Depression including the crash of the New York Stock Exchange, passage of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, and the drought throughout the Great Plains.
- Discuss the final years of the Hoover Administration including the development of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, the creation and destruction of the “Bonus Army,” and the election of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Contrast Roosevelt’s legislative actions with Hoover’s as expressed in the New Deal comprising the First One Hundred Days, the Second New Deal, and the attempt to pack the Supreme Court.