Homework 1: Literary Artistic Biography Topic：E. M. Forster Howards End
Part of the directions for paper #1 state: You will be required to use four sources in your research. One source must be at least one primary text i.e. a novel, film, painting, performance, or poem. The second and third sources must be from either a book of criticism or an article from a literary database. The fourth source maybe from the internet, but cannot be fromWikipedia, an online encyclopedia, or personal blogs.
- Find the primary text or texts you will be using for your Paper 1 and briefly write a paragraph stating its historical importance. If the text is a novel, play or poem, uses quotes from that text. If it is a painting or film provide a link to the text.
- Find one of your critical sources.
- Remember this source must come from either a critical essay found in a book of criticism or an article from one of the databases.
- Briefly argue why this is a useful source for your project.
- In support of your argument you will use a relevant quotation from the critical source.
- Include your name, date, and word count in the left corner
- Title this informal paper with the title you might consider for your formal paper one
- Include an MLA intext citation for paraphrased or quoted material
- Include a correct MLA works cited page for both the primary text and critical source
- Use the instructions for paper #1 to guide your selection of sources.
- Use Purdue Owl to help you with intext and works cited citations.
- Use of good grammar and spelling is assumed.
- Your paper must be between 250 and 500 words
- If you have more than one page include page numbers
- Papers not meeting the required word requirement will lose 1 point for every word missing.
- I’m adding a link to this e-mail that will help you with questions you might have about how to write and research a literary paper. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/697/1/