Answer both choice 1 and choice 2 and label each choice
Consider the course reading about mental disorders, then pick a specific mental disorder and read one or two recent (within the last 6 years) articles about this condition:
- What interested you to read up on this disorder?
- Describe at least 3 key facts you learned about the disorder, such as misconceptions, suspected causes and risk factors.
- What most surprised you when reading about this condition? Was there anything you already knew to be factual about this disorder?
- How did learning about this mental disorder change your attitudes/reactions about people affected by this disorder?
Consider the different forms of psychotherapy discussed in the course reading materials:.
- Imagine you were selecting one of these psychotherapy methods to help another person.
- Which one would “feel” most preferable to you? Explain why this method seems more suitable than others?
- What is the evidence this method is effective and for what disorders is it most suitable?
- Finally, what would help you consider the benefits and risks for using psychiatric medications – either alone or along with psychotherapy?