PART I: THE RISE OF THE MANCHU STATE
Write a 4-5 paragraph essay in response to one of the following essay prompts:
- How were the Manchus able to defeat the Ming dynasty and establish a new Qing state?
- What strategies did the Kangxi, Yongzheng, and Qianlong emperors use to consolidate their power and encourage stability, peace, and prosperity?
PART II: CHINA IN DECLINE
Write a 4-5-paragraph essay on ONE of the following topics:
- What internal and external factors contributed to China’s 19th century decline?
- How did 19th century reforms attempt to solve China’s internal and external problems, and why were they unsuccessful?
TO SUBMIT YOUR EXAM
For further instructions and to submit your exam, please open this folder, click on the “Turnitin Links” link to the left of your screen, choose the file titled “History 3312: Midterm (Winter 2018),” and follow the instructions.
Before submitting your exam, please consult the following checklist:
- Submit your entire exam as a single Turnitin file, not as two separate files.
- Write your answers using standard essay format (e.g. full sentences, paragraphs, no bullet points, no numbers, etc.).
- Develop a point of view about each question, using clearly appropriate examples, reasons, and other evidence to support your position.
- Check that your essays are well organized and clearly focused, demonstrating clear coherence and smooth progression of ideas.
- Proofread your exam, using a spelling and grammar checker.
- If you consult outside sources, include properly formatted citations for each of the sources you cite.
The DUE DATE for submitting your exam is MONDAY, FEBRUARY 5 @ 11PM.
Please note: LATE EXAMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
This examination evaluates student mastery of Course Objectives 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11