Chapter 9 in your text discusses a continuum of adult roles in supporting play – from un-involved to directing or taking control of children’s play.
- Share play experiences you have facilitated and the role you played.
- Share experiences in which you were the person playing and someone else filled a faciitator role.
Discuss the following:
- At least 2 different roles you filled or observed during play.
- What were positive aspects of those roles in those play circumstances?
- What challenges did you encounter in or with those roles?
- What other choices might also have been appropriate or effective?
- What role feels most comfortable for you?
- At which role would you like to gain skill?
- Play, Development and Early Education by James E. Johnson, James F. Christie, and Francis Wardle (Boston, MA: Pearson Education, 2005)is the source