To prepare for this Discussion, you will review the personality theories of Freud, along with those of Carl Jung, Erik Erikson, Alfred Adler, Karen Horney, and Harry Stack Sullivan. Then you will choose one theorist (other than Freud) as the focus of your Discussion post.
Review the Week 2 Learning Resources, including the information in the text and the featured websites, on the following individuals and consider their contributions to personality theory:
Review the media selection in the Learning Resources and consider how the insights apply to the different theorists’ ideas of personality.
Thinking about Jung, Erikson, Adler, Horney, and Sullivan, consider the theorist that you view as having the most practical or useful ideas for understanding the self, others, and daily interactions. Consider examples that would help explain your choice.
Select one theorist from among Jung, Erikson, Adler, Horney, and Sullivan as the subject of your Discussion post. In addition to contributions, consider the strengths and limitations of this individual’s personality theory.
By Day 3
Post a response that includes the following to these 4 questions:
- Identify the theorist that you will discuss, and note your selection in the title of your post.
- Explain how your selected theorist has provided the most practical or useful ideas for understanding of one of the following: self, others, or daily interactions.
- Briefly describe one specific concept or idea developed by your theorist that is particularly helpful in explaining one of the focus areas (i.e., self, others, or daily interactions) and your reasoning.
- Conclude by noting one strength and one limitation of viewing personality from your selected theorist’s perspective.
Part two: Steve and Sigmund Freud
Read about Steve in Case Study: Sigmund Freud, found in this week’s Learning Resources. https://class.waldenu.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/USW1/201830_05/BS_PSYC/PSYC_2009_WC/readings/USW1_PSYC_2009_Week02_caseStudy.pdf
Review other Week 2 Learning Resources on Freud and his psychoanalytic theory.
Consider how Freud’s theories of psychosexual development would explain Steve’s behavior, including the stage at which Steve is likely fixated and, according to Freud, why.
By Day 3
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that includes the following:
- Briefly explain Freud’s views on the levels and structure of personality in general.
- Analyze how Freud’s ideas explain Steve’s behavior. In your answer, be sure to identify the stage of psychosexual development in which Steve is likely fixated.
- Based on what you have studied so far, evaluate how well you think psychoanalytic theories explain human behavior in general.