Methods II Preview Assignment (Worth 40 Points)
You will read a paper written by an actual Research Methods and Design II student from a prior semester. This paper includes two studies the student conducted, with Study One introducing the main variables and Study Two offering an extension with replication of Study One. Your job is to read the whole paper and then complete the following (copy your answers and paste them into the assignment dropbox on Blackboard by the due date – You can find an example of what I am looking for in Blackboard as well):
Title Page (2 points)
- For your title page, follow the same guidelines as your article critique paper. You can include the same title and header as the study you are looking at, but make sure to put YOUR OWN NAME as the author.
- Your assignment should be in APA format in all respects (appropriate headers with running head and page numbers; correct references where needed; correct alignment of the headings, subheadings, fonts, spacing, etc.)
In Part One, I want you to answer the following (2 points for each question, or 18 points total):
- What is the hypothesis for study one? Please give me both the null and alternative hypotheses when you answer this question
- What is the independent variable(s) for study one? Make sure you tell me how many IVs there are and how many levels there are for each IV
- What is the dependent variable(s) for study one? Note: there are several of these, so focus on the ones the author analyzed.
- What did they find in study one? Give the general outcome
- What is the hypothesis for study two? Please give me both the null and alternative hypotheses when you answer this question
- What is the independent variable(s) for study two? Make sure you tell me how many IVs there are and how many levels there are for each IV
- What is the dependent variable(s) for study two? Note: there are several of these, so focus on the ones the author analyzed.
- What did they find in study two? Give the general outcome
- I want you to review the references and spot the reference(s) that is (are) not in APA format and rewrite it for me according to APA rules. Note: there may be as few as zero and as many as ten incorrect references, so make sure to look at them all!
In Part Two, write an abstract for the paper! This should be fairly easy, as you can paraphrase the information from Part One. However, this time you need to write it in one short paragraph (150 to 200 word maximum!). Note: there are two studies, and you have to mention both. Yes, this is tough, but authors often summarize (in the same short abstract) papers that they wrote that may include six or seven different studies! My suggestion is to find the overlap between both studies and discuss both simultaneously. For example, “Both studies looked at X, but study two also examined Y.” Make sure your abstract starts at the top of its own page (it should be all on its own). Your abstract should include the following (2 points each, or 14 points total):
- Include the word “Abstract” at the top of your abstract
- Identify the general problem or research question (the hypotheses) for both studies.
- Note the participants for both studies
- Note the IVs and DVs for the studies
- Note the findings for both studies
- Note the overall conclusions / implications of the two studies
- Please include keywords for the study (at least 5 keywords or phrases – these are not included in the total word count)
Writing Quality (6 points)
- Avoid run-on sentences, sentence fragments, spelling errors, and grammar errors.
- The writing should be PERFECT here. You will lose a point for each writing error, so proofread, proofread, and proofread some more!
- Get a group member to review it for you! Review their abstract!
Total points possible: 40 points
Other guidelines for the Abstract Assignment
- Upload your paper through available assignment blackboard link
This is an individual assignment, but you can get a group member to review it for you.