Assignment 1: Recovery for Different Populations
As a criminal justice system employee, you will interact with people from different walks of life, because of such things as their ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, gender, or sexual orientation. All people see the world through the lens of their own background and experience, and we cannot impose our own values and experience on the experience of others.
This assignment is designed to assist you to integrate cultural influences with your understanding of victims. Select a crime (i.e., rape, robbery, assault, etc.) and using scholarly sources for information identify how this type of crime can affect a victim, their family members, and other members of society keeping in mind any cultural variations.
In a minimum of 300 words, respond to the following:
- Identify a victim of a specific crime with a background different from your own. Research at least three scholarly resources from the professional literature. The literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, and .gov). Report your findings regarding the definition of trauma and the resources used to heal from traumatic experiences.
- Discuss how it might impact their families based on their cultural background.
- Discuss how it might be perceived by society based on the victim’s cultural background.
All written responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, compare the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have.
|Discussion Grading Table||Maximum Points|
|Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment||
|Quality of responses to classmates||
|Frequency of responses to classmates||
|Reference to supporting readings and other materials||
|Language and grammar||