Week Two: Assignment:
Read Chapter 2: Hinduism, pages 26-68
Complete Worksheet #2 and turn in by Sunday night, February 12 by 11:59 pm. It is located in the Week Two folder under the Assignment Link on Blackboard. Please submit your homework through that assignment link. Instructions for this are given elsewhere.
To get full credit the answers must be thorough, show thought and completely fill in the blanks provided.
The Worksheet is worth 10 points.
III. Discussion Board Assignment Questions:
Answer these question on the Discussion Board in Blackboard.
1. How are the Hindu stages of life similar and/or different from the stages of life the majority might follow here in the United States? Which do you prefer and why?
2. Hindus believe there are four castes or stations in life: the Brahmins, Kshatriyas, the Vaishas and the Shudras. They all represent personality types. What personality type does each caste represent and do you agree that people are born with one of these personality types?
3. Which caste personality type most fits your personality and why?
4. Explain how jiva, samsara, and karma work together in the Hindu worldview. What do you think of this perspective? Give reasons to support your views.
2. Question Two:
1. The four different types of yogas are geared to different types of people. The Hindus believe there are many paths to salvation or enlightenment depending on your personality type. Do you agree with this? Do you believe there are many paths to enlightenment or salvation? Give reasons to support your views.
2. If you were an Indian and a Hindu, which yoga would you most identify with and why.
Remember: These initial responses to questions should be at least 150 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.
Also: Don’t forget to respond to two of your classmates’ postings for each question (four in total). They must be at least 75 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.