In this module, present your research findings on the landmark cases related to competency to stand trial (CST), criminal responsibility, the right to receive mental health treatment, the right to refuse psychiatric treatment, coercion to mental health treatment, and civil commitment and treatment of sex offenders.
Create a case report for each selected case, including the following headings:
- Title and Citation: Provide the title of the case and in which court the case is involved.
- Type of Action: Describe the type of the case.
- Facts of the Case: Describe the key facts in the case with roles and responsibilities of forensic psychology professionals.
- Contentions of the Parties: Explain the relevant points in the contentions of the parties.
- Issue: Describe the issue from the viewpoint of the psycholegal question at hand.
- Decision: Explain the decision in the case with implications, present and future, for the practice of forensic psychology.
- Reasoning: Explain the reasoning provided by the trial judges or justices to arrive at the decision and dissenting opinions, if any.
- Rule of Law: Describe the rule of law with regard to the practice of forensic psychology.
Click here for a sample case report, which you can also use as a template to write your individual case report.
Write the case reports in not more than a 6-page Microsoft Word document.
All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
You may refer to the following links for additional information: