Should be question/answer format. Thank you.
The Animal Ethics Reader – edited by Susan J. Armstrong und Richard G. Botzler
The Free Will Problem and Materialism
TPM – Ch 12 Ch 5 The Problem of Other Minds to end,
C – The Unconscious Origins of the Will, Changing the Subject, Choices Efforts and Intentions, Cause and Effect, Other Minds,
- Explain the difference between compatibilism and incompatibilism.
- Pick two of the types of determinism and explain the difference between them. Would they be extensionally equivalent (that is, would they generate the same results)? Why or why not?
- Given the models of Freedom of the Will given in Mandik’s book, which do you find more plausible? Why?
- Is the “higher” and “lower” systems distinction helpful in addressing deterministic worries? Why or why not?
- Why does Harris think Dennett is “Changing the Subject”? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
- What is indeteminism and how does it impact the Free Will debate?
- According to Harris, what impact do prior causes have on the impact or importance of deterministic choices? Why? Do you agree? Why or why not?
- What does the “Rooting for Laundry” behavior imply about our political decisions? Do you think this pans out in actuality? Why or why not?
- At this point what questions do you have? Or alternatively, what would you like to know more about?