All Papers required to have APA formatting. Citation and reference page entries are required for videos, books, and websites. Proper title page and running headers required for papers. (Reminder: EVERY CITATION MUST HAVE AN ACCURATE MATCHING REFERENCE PAGE ENTRY and EVERY REFERENCE PAGE ENTRY MUST HAVE A CITATION REFERING TO IT.)
Select ONE of the scenarios in the Applications list 12.2 (a.-ff.) at the end of Ch. 12 in The Art of Thinking.
Apply the following in a paper of 600 to 700 words for each scenario:
- Evaluate each argument, using the four-step process described on pp. 197-198, regarding soundness of reasoning (truth and validity).
- Explain your assessment, and add alternative argumentation where necessary.
Format your assignment according to appropriate course level APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.Check each of the following arguments to be sure that it contains no hidden premises and, if it is a complex argument, that all parts are expressed. Revise each, as necessary, to make the expression complete. Then evaluate the argument and decide whether it is sound. Explain your judgment.
- a. Having great wealth is a worthy goal because it is difficult to attain and many famous people have pursued it.
- b. Low grades on a college transcript are a handicap in the job market, so teachers who grade harshly are doing students a disservice.
- c. The Bible can’t be relevant to today’s problems; it was written many centuries ago and is filled with archaic phrasing.
- d. It is dishonest to pretend to have knowledge one does not have, so plagiarism is more virtue than vice.
- e. The credit card habit promotes careless spending, particularly among young people. Therefore, credit card companies should not be permitted to issue credit cards to anyone under age 21.
- f. No one who ever attended this college achieved distinction after graduation. Marvin attends this college. Therefore, Marvin will not achieve distinction after graduation.