Application: The Influences of Biology, Family, and Culture
From your readings in this course, you are aware of how substance abuse and other addictions are complex issues that reflect overlapping dimensions of biology, family, and culture. A major challenge is to keep these dimensions in focus when working with clients. Now that you have explored these dimensions, you will demonstrate your knowledge by integrating them in an example.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the information about how biology, family, and culture may contribute to and/or impact substance abuse and addiction.
- Analyze how the dimensions of biology, family, and culture overlap.
- Reflect on the challenges of discerning causality in substance abuse and addiction.
- Think of a hypothetical case in which you might illustrate the impact of biology, family, and culture on substance abuse and/or addiction.
- Consider how biological, familial, and cultural influences have an impact on the case.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Create and describe a hypothetical example that specifically illustrates how biology, family, and culture may contribute to and/or impact substance abuse and/or addiction.
- Explain how biology, family, and culture may each contribute to substance abuse and/or addiction in the case.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.