David E. Shi and George Brown Tindall, America: A Narrative History, Vol. 2, 10th ed. (New York: W.W. Norton, 2016) [ISBN: 9780393265958].
An ideal post would be two solid paragraphs (that includes a thesis statement, a body of supporting evidence, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points). The post should be well constructed and free of grammatical errors, and be between 250 and 300 words. You do not need to undertake outside research in order to answer the question; although you may, if you like. It is a wise strategy to create your response as a Word document (that way, you have a copy for yourself). You must cite your sources both in your response and below it (Bibliography), using the Chicago Style citation format. Students who do not cite their work can expect to receive only a minimum grade of 60% for this assignment. It is expected that our textbook by Shi and Tindall will be a source and should likewise be accessed and cited.
Choose one (1) question.
1. How did the reactionary conservatism during the 1920s manifest itself in social life and governmental policies?
2. To what extent did the policies of the Republican party dominate the federal government during the twenties? In what ways were these polices a rejection of progressivism?
3. What were the major causes of the Great Depression?
4. How did the Great Depression impact the American people?
5. How did President Herbert Hoover’s administration respond to the Great Depression?
6. What were the goals and accomplishments of the First New Deal?
7. How did the New Deal evolve? How did it transform the role of the federal government in American life?