Please respond to one (1) of the following:
- Theories of Power and Society: The pluralist theory says that political power in democracies is distributed among groups that have equal influence, while elite theories say that power in democracies is concentrated in the hands of a few.
- Which theory do you think better explains the exercise of power in the United States? Please provide an example to justify your response.
- Voting: Voter turnout in the United States is lower than most other democracies in the world.
- Did you vote in the last election?
- Whether you voted or not, what obstacles or challenges have you encountered, or seen others in your community encounter, on Election Day?
- What changes would you recommend to increase voter turnout for yourself and in your community?
Your response must address the discussion question and you must also comment on at least one other student’s post.
Week 9 Instructor Insights is REQUIRED
Class, please review the short video on voting in the United States–this is a very brief history of voting–but an important series of events that involved permitting and denying certain groups the opportunity to vote. Please review the video in its entirety, provide a brief summary of the key point and post your thoughts in the weekly discussion section of the class.
Watch VideoThe fight for the right to vote in the United States – Nicki Beaman Griffin
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VdyPbbzlI