Option 2 Creating a Transcendentalist society
1. Select one partner for this project. (Or you can work by yourself if you wish).
2. You and your partner are going to create your own Transcendentalist Society, which means that your society must adhere to the ideas common to this mode of thinking, specifically:
– the ideas of relying on one’s self for true happiness
– the emphasis on nature
– the importance of minimal government intervention
– the belief that humans are innately good.
You must complete all of the following tasks:
1. Select a meaningful name for your society. You may create a name with some meaning (from something you already know) or come up with an acronym.
2. Explain the kinds of work your society would encourage its citizens to engage in.
3. Design and create a flag using colors and symbols to illustrate the values of your society. You may draw the flag on poster board or actually make your society’s flag using fabric.
4. Develop a monetary system for your society, giving samples of the currency and
explaining in detail how the system works.
5. Describe at least three behaviors your society would deem inappropriate or criminal
behaviors. Then explain how your society would deal with those citizens who commit
6. Create some type of propaganda material (a flyer, a pamphlet, business cards, a web site, a billboard, etc.) that would encourage others to become a part of your society. (cannot be digital)
You and your partner will present your society to the rest of the class. In addition to being graded on the above tasks, you will get points for your presentation, creativity, and adherence to Transcendentalist ideas.
Name of Society _________/10
Monetary System _________/10
*provide visual of currency sample
*explanation how system works
Job Force _________/10
*explanation of types of typical jobs in your society
Flag for Society _________/10
*visual representation using color/symbols
*explanation of design choices
Justice System _________/10
*3 inappropriate behaviors for your society
*explanation of consequences if behaviors occur
*cannot be digital
*should persuade reader to join your society
*organized (may use PPT, etc.)
*balance in presentation
* 5-7 minutes