Midterm Exam–an Overview
To write this 600-750 word argument essay stating your position on whether guns should be permitted on your college campus.
Will allowing guns on college campuses make them safer? Why/why not?
- Support your position with evidence: you must cite from at least FOUR of the assigned unit readings, INCLUDING at least one point of view that differs from your own (Refutation). Cite each quote/paraphrase in MLA format.
- Include a works cited.
- Remember, your essay must be focused, must have clear and relevant details, must be well researched (with good, credible sources and accurate documentation), and must be well presented and persuasive. Your argument must also contain a refutation.
BELOW ARE WHAT I INPUT IN THE OUTLINE. PLEASE SEE THE OUTLINE ATTACHED AS A GUIDE FOR THIS ESSAY. MY STAND POINT WAS THAT THERE SHOULD BE NO GUNS ALLOWED ON COLLEGE CAMPUS. PLEASE WRITE BASED ON THAT AND ALSO INCLUDE A REBUTTAL PARAGRAPH.
- Write the prompt at the top of the outline: Will allowing guns on college campuses make them safer?
- Provide a clear thesis statement that responds to the prompt.
- Provide topic sentences for each body paragraph that offer arguments that support the thesis (NOTE: you need at least THREE body paragraphs).
- Include an opposing argument (remember to develop a rebuttal for this point in your essay).
- Include supporting evidence under each topic sentence (in the form of a quotation, paraphrase, or summary that you plan to use to support the point you are making). Be sure to cite from at least FOUR of the assigned sources. (See Purdue University’s OnlineWriting Lab handout on Quoting, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing if you need help.)
- Include MLA-formatted in-text citations for each quote/paraphrase.
- Add your works cited page to the outline. Refer to the Owl at Purdue site if you need help.