Write a separate paragraph for 8 different jazz songs/pieces that you listen to in a radio or streaming broadcast. For each paragraph, you’ll need to address all of the bullet points listed below.
Prompt for Listening Journal 2:
1. Tune into any jazz radio broadcast – this can include internet or satellite radio. If you use a service like Pandora, be sure to choose a jazz genre, and do not allow it to include related (non-jazz) genres. A good local resource in San Diego is Jazz 88 – KSDS (88.3 FM). It’s also streaming online at http://www.jazz88.org.
2. Write 8 journal entries – one for each song that you listen to – addressing all of the following bullet points for each song (8 songs, 8 paragraphs):
• What’s the title of the song?
• What’s the name of the band leader and/or band? This information is clearly provided on internet and satellite radio. If you’re listening to a traditional radio broadcast, DJs announce this info every now and then.
• What’s the instrumentation? Larger ensembles such as swing big bands can be identified as such, but for smaller ensembles (up to 5 performers) I’d like you to identify all of the individual instruments if possible.
• Describe the general character of the music: what’s the atmosphere, vibe or emotional content of the piece? How would you describe the tempo (slow, medium, fast)? Does the music sound consonant (harmonious) or dissonant (discordant and clashing) – or something in between?
• How does the music unfold from beginning to end? This is the most important aspect of this assignment, and should comprise at least half of each of your 8 journal entries. This can include descriptions of shifts in mood and character, interesting exchanges/dialogues between instruments/musicians, descriptions of solos, and other notable moments.