The song: Corcovado by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto (2:30)
You can hear it on youtube at:
Or click on the link below:
Format: One pagetypewritten, double-spaced. Please use a 12pt font.
Please place your name + LA# 3 + today’s date (on the upper left hand corner of the paper). Do not include the name of the song anywhere in the header or above the body of the paper.
Example: John or Mary Student – LA#3 – 4/13/17. – all on one line please!
Listening assignments are opinion papers. You will point out several objective points in the music, i.e. tonal color, dynamics, texture, etc., describe them, and then give your detailed (subjective) opinions of them.
Corcovado consists of a female vocal, tenor saxophone, piano, acoustic guitar, bass and drums. The style is Bossa Nova (Brazilian Jazz).
Specific questions to answer and topics to cover for Corcovado:
- Which instrument do you hear during the song’s intro (before the vocal enters)?
- Is the overall texture thin or thick during the intro? Why?
- Which instruments keep the basic tempo or beat of the song?
- Would you say the tempo or pulse is slow, medium or fast?
- What is the mood of the song? Why? Do you like the mood? Why or why not?
- Do the dynamics change in the song? Why or why not? If so, where in the song?
- How is the tonal color in the song created? Is it a good or bad tonal color? Why?
- Does the overall texture change from beginning to end? Why or why not?
- Is the verse in strophic form? Why or why not? Is there a bridge or new section? If so, describe how it differs from the rest of the song. Do the lyrics in your opinion work well both in English and in Portuguese? Is one language better suited to the song? Why or why not? Give reasons.
- Describe the tenor saxophone fills throughout the song and the saxophone solo. Do they add or take away from the song? Why? Does the drummer play with drum sticks or brushes?
- How does the song end? Describe the instruments you hear. Does this work in your opinion?
- Would you listen to this song again after completing this assignment? Why?
Please note: Listening Assignments are not research papers. Please do not include any of the following:
– biographies of the musicians
– how successful the musicians are or how many records they sold
– a history of the song and/or the musicians
– any comparisons to any other song even if it is by the same artist
Final points: Please listen to the song several times and take notes during each performance. For example, listen once for texture, then again for dynamics, etc.
Please have your paper printed a day or so before the due date so you will have it when you come to class that day. Early paper submissions are welcome. You may present a draft before the due date for comments, however it is not required.