For this assignment, consider one of the optional articles listed for this unit, or locate a peer-reviewed journal article in the Capella library that discusses the application of a family systems approach to a specific addiction (substance use disorder or gambling disorder). You will notice that some articles describe treatment interventions from a systemic viewpoint that focuses on the family unit rather than on the individual for treatment interventions. In contrast, others will describe systemic interventions that are intended to be among the treatment modalities (such as individual and group) that will be included as part of treatment for addiction for a clearly identified individual client.
Considering the systemic interventions described in the selected article, analyze the following:
- What may be advantages or disadvantages of the systemic intervention based upon whether the family or the individual is the focus of treatment?
- How does the intervention fit within a model of addiction?
- How applicable is the intervention to diverse families and couples?
Note that additional scholarly literature will be needed to support your analysis.
Follow these assignment requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is thoughtful and free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Resources: Use one course or library article and a minimum of four scholarly sources.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
You may choose to read the following optional library articles:
- Aviram, R. B., & Spitz, H. I. (2003). Substance abuse couple therapy: Clinical considerations and relational themes. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 14(3), 1–18.
- Fals-Stewart, W., O’Farrell, T. J., Birchler, G.R. (2004). Behavioral couples therapy for substance abuse: Rationale, methods, and findings. Science & Practice Perspectives, 2(2), 30–41.
- Robbins, M. S., Bachrach, K., & Szapocznik, J. (2002). Bridging the research-practice gap in adolescent substance abuse treatment: The case of brief strategic family therapy. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 23(2), 123–132.